USA Gymnastics confirms that all members of its Board of Directors have submitted their resignations, effective January 30, 2018. Leadership of USA Gymnastics and the United States Olympic Committee recently met to review the process of selecting USA Gymnastics interim Board of Directors, consistent with the process outlined in USA Gymnastics Bylaws, as required by the USOC. The USA Gymnastics Nominating and Governance Committee will oversee the process of seating an interim Board.
The interim Board of Directors is to reflect the make-up of the 21-member Board prescribed in USA Gymnastics Bylaws, which includes:
- 5 Athlete Directors
- 7 National Membership Directors
- 3 Advisory Council Director
- 5 Independent Directors
- The Chair
Prior to February 12, 2018, vacancies created by the recent Board resignations are to be filled through appointments to the interim Board by their respective constituent groups pursuant to Article 4.5 of USA Gymnastics Bylaws:
- 5 Athlete Directors will be appointed by the Athletes Council
- 7 National Membership Directors will be appointed by the affected Program Committees
- 3 Advisory Council Directors will be appointed by the Advisory Council.
USA Gymnastics’ Nominating and Governance Committee will conduct a public call for expressions of interest for the positions of interim Independent Directors and the Chair. Candidates must meet the standards of independence outlined in 4.2.c. of USA Gymnastics Bylaws. The Nominating and Governance Committee will vet candidates and nominate Independent Director and Chair candidates to the interim Board of Directors by February 19, 2018.
All candidates for interim Board of Directors must meet the qualifications for service outlined in Article 2.4 of USA Gymnastics Bylaws.
On or before February 23, 2018, the interim Board will hold a special meeting to elect the 5 interim Independent Directors and the Chair, thus fully constituting the interim Board. As a result, the full interim Board will have be formed prior to the February 28, 2018 deadline established by the USOC.
A priority for the interim Board of Directors will be to re-evaluate the current structure of the USA Gymnastics Board and, working with the USA Gymnastics Nominating and Governance Committee, restructure the Board, with the following requisites:
- The Board size must be reduced to no more than 15.
- A majority of the Directors must be independent.
- Athlete Directors must maintain at least 20% representation as required by the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act and the USOC Bylaws.
- Members of the Advisory Council will have representation on the Board in a manner consistent with requirements of the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act.