Photo by Jason Lavengood
SAN JOSE, Calif., July 10, 2016 – USA Gymnastics today announced the five gymnasts and three replacement athletes that will comprise the U.S. Olympic Team for women’s gymnastics that will compete at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Simone Biles of Spring, Texas/World Champions Centre, automatically qualified to the team at the conclusion of competition at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials for women’s gymnastics after winning the two-day all-around. The balance of the team and three replacement athletes were chosen by the Women’s Selection Committee.
The five-woman team and three replacement athletes are listed below.
- Simone Biles, Spring, Texas/World Champions Centre
- Gabby Douglas, Tarzana, Calif./Buckeye Gymnastics
- Laurie Hernandez, Old Bridge, N.J./MG Elite
- Madison Kocian, Dallas, Texas/WOGA Gymnastics
- Aly Raisman, Needham, Mass./Brestyan’s American Gymnastics
- Replacement athletes
- Ashton Locklear, Hamlet, N.C./Everest Gymnastics
- MyKayla Skinner, Gilbert, Ariz./Desert Lights Gymnastics
- Ragan Smith, Lewisville, Texas/Texas Dreams Gymnastics
All athletes named to the Olympic Team are subject to the approval of the U.S. Olympic Committee’s Board of Directors.
The members of the Women’s Selection Committee were: Martha Karolyi, women’s national team coordinator; Tatiana Perskaia, brevet judge; and Terin Humphrey, athlete representative.