DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., May 9, 2015 – Region I and Region VI captured the junior elite Level 8 and Level 9 team titles, respectively, at the 2015 U.S. Men’s Junior Olympic National Championships at the Ocean Center Arena in Daytona Beach, Fla. In Level 8, Region I posted a total of 242.450, followed by Region III (242.350) and Region VIII (235.700). Region VI scored 248.850 to take the Level 9 title with Region III (248.450) and Region I (247.950) finishing second and third, respectively.
This morning, competition resumed with Level 10 junior elite athletes performing technical sequences to name the all-around and individual event champions. Then, the Junior Olympic Level 10 gymnasts will compete in their second day of optional routines.
The following athletes, who will perform technical sequences on Sunday to complete their competition, posted the top Level 8 and 9 scores in the all-around for Junior Elite each age group.
- Level 8, 11 year olds: Asher Hong of WOGA-Frisco, 80.550
- Level 8, 12 year olds: Samuel Phillips of Gymnastics Olympica, 79.250
- Level 9, 13 year olds: Dylan Hughes of Queen City Gymnastics, 80.550
- Level 9, 14 year olds: Vitaly Guimaraes of 5280 Gymnastics, 84.150
After the first of two days of Level 8 and 9 Junior Olympic division competition, the leaders are as follows.
- Level 8, 11 year olds: Matthew Romalia of 5280 Gymnastics, 78.800
- Level 8, 12 year olds: Donovan Hewitt of Fairland Gymnastics, 77.100
- Level 9, 13 year olds: Chase Clingman of APEX, 76.975
- Level 9, 14 year olds: Angel Leon of Gym World Central, 83.200
The U.S. Junior Olympic National Championships is one of the national championships of USA Gymnastics, the sport’s national governing body in the United States. Many Junior Olympic champions have gone on to make the U.S. National Team and represent the United States in international competition and/or to compete in collegiate gymnastics. All of the members of the men’s medal-winning 2004 (silver) and 2008 (bronze) U.S. Olympic Teams, as well as the 2012 Olympic Team, are former Junior Olympic National Championships participants. Past participants include Paul Hamm, 2004 Olympic all-around champion; Jonathan Horton, 2008 Olympic horizontal bar silver medalist and 2010 World all-around bronze medalist; and Danell Leyva, 2012 Olympic all-around bronze medalist.