SAINT PAUL, Minn., Aug. 24, 2011 – Tom Reid’s Hockey City Pub was all the rage in Saint Paul, earning the all-around and taste medal for the 2011 Taste of Visa Championships, a restaurant competition that is part of a joint effort between Visit Saint Paul, USA Gymnastics and St. Vincent Sports Performance, a national sponsor of USA Gymnastics, to promote healthy eating.
"We are honored to claim the gold medals for all around and taste," said Tom Reid, owner of Tom Reid’s Hockey City Pub. Aca A We were up against some strong competition and I think we all provided fantastic dining opportunities for the fans and competitors who were in town for this event."
Out of the 14 Saint Paul-area restaurants that participated in the 2011 Taste of Visa Championships, the panel of judges, led by legendary coach Bela Karolyi, awarded five for their specialty entrées created during the week of the Visa Championships.
Tom Reid’s took home medals for their ‘Pecan-crusted Walleye,’ as Cork’s Irish Pub received the gold for presentation and creativity with their ‘Soul Circle Curry with Uneven Chicken and Apple Sausage bars.’ The nutrition award was presented to Señor Wong and the ‘Round Off "Chile Rellenos" with a Double Back "Smoked Chicken & Quinoa" Dismount,’ and the gymnastics tie-in medal coincidentally ended in a tie between Great Waters Brewing Company with the ‘Best All-Around Duck’ and American Burger Bar and their ‘Heal Drive Burger.’
The entire field of 14 restaurants, including entrée name, are:
- American Burger Bar, Heel Drive Burger
- Cork’s Irish Pub, Soul Circle Curry with Uneven Chicken and Apple Bars
- Eagle Street, The Lemon Halibut Arabesque
- Great Waters Brewing Company, Best All-Around Duck
- Headwaters Café, Flyway Frittata
- Kincaid’s Fish, Chop & Steak House, Seared Scallop Salto
- Liffey Irish Pub, Salto Salmon Penne
- M ST. Café, Seared Salmon & White Bean Salad with Horseradish Vinaigrette
- Pazzaluna Urban Italian, Arabesque Grilled Chicken with Fresh Whole Wheat Pasta
- Restaurant 11, Tumbling Seafood Salad
- St. Paul Grill, Unparalleled Ahi Tuna Nicoise Salad
- Sakura, 9.9 Almost Perfect
- Senor Wong, The Round Off Chile Rellenos with a Double Back Smoked Chicken & Qiinoa Dismount
- Tom Reid’s Hockey City Pub, Pecan-Crusted Walleye