SHREVEPORT, La., April 18, 2008 – Stevie Waldman, a senior at the College of William and Mary, claimed the all-around title at the 2008 USA Gymnastics Women’s Collegiate Championships, which is being held at Centenary College of Louisiana’s Gold Dome.
Waldman posted a score of 38.775, followed by Towson University teammates Decelia Willacy and Jackie Schweitzer in second and third, respectively, with scores of 38.600 and 38.500.
Texas Woman’s University topped the team qualification round with 194.375 points. Reigning champion Towson was second at 193.200, while Centenary was third at 192.400 and Cornell University was fourth with a score of 192.150. All four teams advanced to the team finals, which are today at 7 p.m.
Other teams competing at the 2008 USA Gymnastics Women’s Collegiate Championships are: the College of William and Mary, Seattle Pacific University, Temple University and the U.S. Air Force Academy. Schools sending individual athletes are: Brown University, Southern Connecticut State University, the University of Bridgeport and Westchester University.
Competition concludes on Saturday with the individual event finals beginning at 1:30 p.m. The top five individuals plus ties on each apparatus from each of Thursday’s sessions advanced to the individual event finals. For a list of athletes who qualified for the individual event finals, go to www.GoCentenary.com.
Gymnastics fans can watch the team and individual event finals live on Centenary’s Web site by going to www.GoCentenary.com and clicking on “Live Events Schedule.” The cost is $6.95 per session.
2008 USA Gymnastics Women’s Collegiate Championships
Centenary College of Louisiana
April 17, 2008
Day one of three
All-around final results
1. Stevie Waldman, College of William and Mary, 38.775
2. Decelia Willacy, Towson University, 38.600
3. Jackie Schweitzer, Towson University, 38.500
4. Marisa Schneider, Centenary College of Louisiana, 38.375
5. Annukka Almenoksa, Towson University, 38.350
6. Megan Wooden, Towson University, 38.275
7. Tricia Long, College of William and Mary, 38.100
8. Maddie Pearsall, Cornell University, 38.025
Team prelims (top two from each session advance to finals)
1. Texas Woman’s University*, 194.375
2. Towson University^, 193.200
3. Centenary College of Louisiana^, 192.400
4. Cornell University, 192.150
5. College of William and Mary^, 189.525
6. Seattle Pacific University^, 189.350
7. Temple University*, 188.850
8. U.S. Air Force Academy*, 188.600
*Session 1, ^Session 2