COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., March 26, 2010 – A spring blizzard in Colorado Springs, Colo., did not faze the competition at the 2010 USA Gymnastics Men’s Collegiate Championships, held at the U.S. Air Force Academy’s Cadet Field House. The U.S. Air Force Academy and Arizona State University won the Varsity and Collegiate Club Division titles, respectively, at the annual collegiate championships. The College of William and Mary’s Derek Gygax and the Air Force Academy’s Nash Mills tied for the varsity division’s all-around crown. Riley Barclay of Arizona State University took the collegiate club all-around title. The championships wrap up on March 27 with individual event finals.
In the varsity division, the Academy outscored defending champions William and Mary, 342.25 to 335.15. Springfield College was third in the team competition at 329.35.
Gygax, who was the defending varsity all-around champion, shared the top honors with Mills, both posting an 85.45 total. Springfield College’s Ty Evans, who was second in 2009, rounded out this year’s top three at 83.65.
In the Collegiate Club Division, Arizona State captured the team title for the fourth straight year and 13th time overall since first competing in the event in 1987. ASU posted a 326.20, with the University of Washington and College at Brockport coming in second and third, respectively.
ASU also took the top two spots in the all-around. Riley Barclay captured the all-around crown with 80.35. Teammate Stewart MacDonald earned 77.95 for second. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Brett Lazarus was third at 77.50.
At the men’s USA Gymnastics Collegiate Championships, the team competition is divided into two categories, varsity and collegiate. The varsity competition is for Division I, II, or III, four-year institutions with gymnastics as a varsity sport, and the collegiate team category is for two-year or four-year degree-granting schools with gymnastics as a club sport.
The schools in this year’s field are: Varsity — College of William and Mary, Springfield College, U.S. Air Force Academy and U.S. Naval Academy; and Collegiate Club Division — Arizona State University, College of Brockport, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Portland Community College, University of Texas and University of Washington
The individual event finals are scheduled for March 27 at 5 p.m. in the West Gymnasium.
2010 USA Gymnastics Men’s Collegiate Championships
United States Air Force Academy
March 26, 2010
Team and all-around finals
1. Arizona State University, 326.20
2. University of Washington, 295.80
3. College at Brockport, 289.55
1. Riley Barclay, Arizona State University, 80.35
2. Stewart MacDonald, Arizona State University, 77.95
3. Brett Lazarus, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77.50
4. Charles Baysinger, Arizona State University, 77.20
5. Sam Softich, University of Washington, 75.20
6. Jeramie Hardi, University of Washington, 74.25
1. U.S. Air Force Academy, 342.25
2. College of William and Mary, 335.15
3. Springfield College, 329.35
1t. Derek Gygax, College of William and Mary, and Nash Mills, U.S. Air Force Academy, 85.45
3. Ty Evans, Springfield College, 83.65
4. Andrew Faulk, U.S. Naval Academy, 83.10
5. Josh Fox, Springfield College, 82.95
6. Austin Zalik, U.S. Naval Academy, 79.10