HERRLJUNGA, Sweden, May 23, 2009 – The USA’s Alaina Williams of Huntsville, Ala., won the women’s trampoline title and Steven Gluckstein of Atlantic Highlands, N.J., and Logan Dooley of Lake Forest, Calif., went one-two in men’s trampoline at the 2009 International Frivolten Cup in Herrljunga, Sweden, May 22-23. All five U.S. gymnasts finished in the top six in the finals of the two-day event.
Dooley won the traditional Two-Trick Competition, held at the conclusion of the Frivolten Cup. It is a fun competition with gymnasts performing two really difficult skills. In addition, Nicole Mahoney from Bounce California was second in the junior women’s double mini-trampoline.
Williams, who trains at Matrix Gym, Inc., won the title with a total 96 points. Russia’s Nina Alyabyeva and Denmark’s Maila Walmod finished in second and third place. The USA’s Nani Vercruyssen of Honolulu/Hawaii Academy placed sixth at 86 points.
Gluckstein, who trains at Head over Heels, tallied a 108.20-point total to barely edge out teammate Dooley, who scored 108.10, for the title. Spain’s Manuel Muños Bueno rounded out the top three with 105.40. Michael Devine of Winnebago, Ill./J&J Tumbling and Trampoline, placed sixth with 97.50 points. Dooley trains at World Elite Gymnastics.
2009 International Frivolten Cup
May 22-23, 2009
1. Alaina Williams, USA/Huntsville, Ala., 96.00
2. Nina Alyabyeva, Russia, 93.20
3. Maila Walmod, Denmark, 92.80
4. Lauren Allen, Great Britain, 92.00
5. Lynn Patrouille, Belgium, 88.80
6. Nani Vercruyssen, USA/Honolulu, 86.00
7. Claire Madigan, Great Britain, 85.50
8. Melissa Bailey, Great Britain, 69.90
1. Steven Gluckstein, USA/Atlantic Highlands, N.J., 108.20
2. Logan Dooley, USA/ Lake Forest, Calif., 108.10
3. Manuel Muños Bueno, Spain, 105.40
4. Christian Andersen, Denmark, 102.60
5. Daniel Preast, Denmark 100.30
6. Michael Devine, USA/Winnebago, Ill., 97.50
7. Oscar Smith, Sweden, 91.60
8. Mads Ehlers, Denmark, 69.80