INDIANAPOLIS, Feb. 14, 2018 — The interim Board of Directors of USA Gymnastics, which replaces the Board that resigned last month, will reflect the make-up of the 21-member Board that is identified in the current USA Gymnastics Bylaws, as outlined below.
- Five athlete directors (acrobatic, men, rhythmic and women’s gymnastics; and trampoline and tumbling)
- Seven national membership directors (acrobatic – one; men – two; rhythmic – one; trampoline and tumbling – one; and women – two)
- Three Advisory Council directors
- Five independent directors
- Chairperson of the Board
The athlete, national membership and Advisory Council directors for the interim Board members are appointed by their respective constituent groups pursuant to Article 4.5 of USA Gymnastics Bylaws. The criteria used by the program committees to make their appointments were the same criteria used to nominate director candidates last fall. These groups have taken action to fill vacancies.
- The five athlete directors appointed by the Athletes’ Council.
- Acrobatic – Dylan Maurer
- Men – Steve Legendre
- Rhythmic – Ava Gehringer
- Trampoline and tumbling – TBD
- Women – Ivana Hong
- The seven national membership directors appointed by the respective program committees (acrobatic, men’s, rhythmic and women’s gymnastics, and trampoline and tumbling).
- Acrobatic – Bob Meier
- Men – Randy Jepson and Justin Spring
- Rhythmic – Stefanie Korepin
- Trampoline and tumbling – Scott Lineberry
- Women – Kittia Carpenter and Claudia Kretschmer
- The three directors appointed by the Advisory Council.
- Cindy Bickman
- Bobbie Cesarek
- Evelyn Chandler
Per the directives of the United States Olympic Committee, identifying the interim independent directors and the Board chair is also underway and is scheduled to be determined by Feb. 26, 2018.
The USA Gymnastics Nominating and Governance Committee recently conducted a public call for expressions of interest for the positions of interim independent directors and Board chair. Independent director candidates must meet the standards of independence described in Article 4.2.c. and the qualifications for service outlined in Article 2.4 of the USA Gymnastics Bylaws.
The Nominating and Governance Committee is partnering with Boardspan to vet potential candidates. Boardspan provides board and governance expertise to public, private and nonprofit companies through cloud-based and traditional advisory services. The committee expects to recommend independent director and chair candidates to the interim Board of Directors during the week of Feb. 19.
The interim board will hold a special meeting on or before Feb. 26, 2018, to elect the five interim independent directors and the chair, therefore fully constitute the interim Board prior to the USOC’s Feb. 28, 2018 deadline.
A priority for the interim Board of Directors is re-evaluating the current structure of the USA Gymnastics Board and, working with the USA Gymnastics Nominating and Governance Committee to restructure the Board, with the following requisites:
- Reduce the board to no more than 15 members.
- A majority of the directors must be independent.
- Athlete directors must make up at least 20% of the board, as required by the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act and the USOC Bylaws.
- Members of the Advisory Council will have representation on the Board in a manner consistent with requirements of the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act.