MINNEAPOLIS, Minn., April 17, 2021 – Stanford University successfully defended its team title at the 2021 National Collegiate Men’s Gymnastics Championships at Maturi Pavilion in Minneapolis, Minn. The University of Oklahoma and University of Michigan rounded out the top three.
The Cardinal were buoyed by a standout performance from Brody Malone who picked up his second-straight all-around title. He finished with an 85.064 across all six disciplines to edge the University of Minnesota’s Shane Wiskus (84.866). Malone’s Stanford teammate Brandon Briones took third with an 82.165 with Oklahoma’s Vitaliy Guimaraes (82.164) and the University of Iowa’s Evan Davis (81.931) finishing fourth and fifth, respectively.
Stanford finished the night with a commanding 414.521, nearly a full three points ahead of runner up Oklahoma (411.591). Michigan recorded a 410.358, followed by the University of Nebraska with 406.624. Nebraska edged fifth-place Minnesota who tallied a 406.291. The University of Illinois was sixth with a 397.991. The Cardinal posted high scores on still rings (70.097), vault (73.432) and horizontal bar (67.931). Oklahoma led the way on floor with a 72.965, while Nebraska notched the highest team score on pommel horse with a 65.965. The Wolverines topped the field on parallel bars, earning a 68.498.
In addition to his team and all-around accolades, Malone secured the national championship on horizontal bar with a 14.466. Wiskus took individual event titles on still rings (14.400) and parallel bars (14.433). Oklahoma’s Gage Dyer posted two of the three highest scores of the competition to claim the national championships on floor exercise (15.266) and vault (15.033). The Illini’s Ian Skirkey was the high scorer on pommel horse with a 14.166.
The top-three individual event placements are listed below.
- Floor exercise: Gage Dyer, Oklahoma, 15.266; Shane Wiskus, Minnesota, 15.100; Jacob Moore, Michigan, 14.900
- Pommel horse: Ian Skirkey, Illinois, 14.166; Paul Juda, Michigan, 13.800; Evan Kriley, Nebraska, 13.700
- Still rings: Shane Wiskus, Minnesota, 14.400; Brody Malone, Stanford, 14.366; Riley Loos, Stanford, 14.166
- Vault: Gage Dyer, Oklahoma, 15.033; Zach Martin, Stanford, 14.900; Curran Phillips, Stanford, 14.733
- Parallel bars: Shane Wiskus, Minnesota, 14.433; Evgeny Siminiuc, Michigan, 14.266; Virgil Watkins, Michigan, 14.066
- Horizontal bar: Brody Malone, Stanford, 14.466; Shane Wiskus, Minnesota, 14.033; Adam Wooten, Michigan, 13.833