URBANA-CHAMPAIGN- Ill., April 20, 2019 – Stanford University won the men’s team title, upsetting defending champion University of Oklahoma, at the 2019 National Collegiate Men’s Championships at the State Farm Center on the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Stanford’s Brody Malone brought home the all-around title, as well as the floor exercise and horizontal bar gold medals. The other four individual event champions are: pommel horse, Alec Yoder of Ohio State University; still rings, Alex Diab, Illinois; vault, Anthony McCallum, Michigan; parallel bars, and Shane Wiskus, University of Minnesota.
The three awards for men’s gymnastics for the year were: NIssen-Emory Award and MVP – Yul Moldauer, Oklahoma; Specialist of the Year – Diab; and Rookie of the Year – Malone.
In the team competition, Stanford’s six-event total of 415.222, gave them a 0.656 margin of victory over the Sooners that posted a 414.556. The University of Nebraska was third at 407.489. The University of Michigan was fourth at 406.354. University of Illinois took fifth (405.358) and Pennsylvania State University was sixth (399.725). Stanford’s team event scores were: floor exercise, 71.898; pommel horse, 64.564; still rings, 71.131; vault, 72.632; parallel bars, 67.365; and horizontal bar, 67.632. Oklahoma had the top team mark for pommel horse (67.265), and parallel bars (68.031). Michigan had the best vault team score of 73.264.
Malone won the all-around crown by tallying an 85.832. Wiskus was second at 84.199, followed by Oklahoma’s Genki Suzuki with an 83.198. Rounding out the top five were Michigan’s Cameron Bock (82.464) and OU’s Levi Anderson (82.199).
The top three for each individual event are listed below.
- Floor exercise: 1. Brody Malone, Stanford, 14.800; 2. Bailey Perez, Stanford, 14.766; 3. Jacob Moore, Michigan, 14.700.
- Pommel horse: 1. Alec Yoder, Ohio State, 14.633; 2. Stephen Nedoroscik, Penn. State, 14.400; 3. Yul Moldauer, Oklahoma, 14.100.
- Still rings: 1. Alex Diab, Illinois, 14.733; 2. Yul Moldauer, Oklahoma, 14.533; 3. Noah Roberson, Penn. State, 14.433.
- Vault: 1. Anthony McCallum, Michigan, 15.266; 2. Bryan Perla, Stanford, 14.933; 3. Anton Stephenson, Nebraska, 14.866.
- Parallel bars: 1. Shane Wiskus, Minnesota, 14.200; 2T. Genki Suzuki, Oklahoma, 14.166; 3T. Blake Sun, Stanford, 14.166.
- Horizontal bar: 1, Brody Malone, Stanford, 14.633; 2. Grant Breckenridge, Stanford, 14.200; 3. Lukas Texeira, U.S. Air Force Academy, 14.133.