INDIANAPOLIS, Ind., February 15, 2022 – Region 5 will once again be led by 2021 all-around runner-up Kai Uemura, as the team looks to improve on last year’s fourth-place Elite Team Cup finish. Uemura will have some help from fellow 2021 veteran Tai Gopaul, while six members of the squad are slated to make their event debuts.
In all, nine regional teams will compete head-to-head for national bragging rights Saturday, February 26 at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas. The 2022 Elite Team Cup Presented by TURN is being held in conjunction with this year’s three-day Winter Cup Presented by OZONE and TURN, and the top individual performers will earn the opportunity to compete for junior apparatus titles Sunday, February 27 alongside their senior counterparts.
The provisional Region 5 roster is listed alphabetically below. Eight gymnasts have been named to the team, but only six will compete.
- Sasha Bogonosiuk, Buffalo Grove, Ill./Gymkhana Gymanstics
- Tai Gopaul, Buffalo Grove, Ill./Lakeshore Academy
- Cooper Kim, Grand Ledge, Mich./Capital City Flips
- Diego Leautaud, Bartlett, Ill./Gymkhana Gymnastics
- Robert Noll, Jr., Richmond Township, Mich./Michigan Elite Gymnastics Academy
- Max Olinger, Lake Forest, Ill./Lakeshore Academy
- Kai Uemura, Chicago, Ill./Lakeshore Academy
- Nathan York, Plainfield, Ill./Premier Gymnastics Academy West
For more information about the 2022 Elite Team Cup and accompanying Winter Cup and Nastia Liukin Cup, visit WinterCup.com. All- and single-session tickets are currently on sale.
USA Gymnastics men’s artistic regions are determined by state and are listed below. Rosters for Regions 1, 6, 7 and 9 will be released in the coming weeks.
- Region 1 – Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada
- Region 2 – Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington
- Region 3 – Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas
- Region 4 – Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Region 5 – Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio
- Region 6 – Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
- Region 7 – Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
- Region 8 – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
- Region 9 – Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming