INDIANAPOLIS, Dec. 12, 2011 – Danell Leyva of Homestead, Fla./Team Hilton HHonors (Universal Gymnastics Inc.), claimed the all-around title at the 2011 Mexican Open in Acapulco, Mexico, Dec. 9-10.
Beginning on floor, Leyva earned a 14.25. He continued on to the pommel horse scoring a 14.50, and finished strong on still rings with his Yamawaki series and handstand swing sequence to total 14.45.
After the first day of competition, Leyva was tied for second with Columbia's Jorge Giraldo with 43.20.
On the second and final day of the event, Leyva started off on vault, performing a Kasamatsu full twist, and completed a clean routine on the parallel bars with four Peach skills. He finished off the competition on the horizontal bar and earned himself the gold medal with an overall score of 89.350.
Daniel Purvis of Great Britain and Russia's Sergey Khorokhordin finished in second and third with scores of 88.70 and 87.70, respectively.
Men's All-Around Results
1. Danell Leyva (USA) 89.350
2. Daniel Purvis (GBR) 88.700
3. Sergey Khorokhordin (RUS) 87.700
4. Daniel Corral (MEX) 87.350
5. Jorge Giraldo (COL) 86.750
6. Rafael Martínez (ESP) 86.550
7. Masahiro Yoshida (JPN) 85.350
8. Santiago López (MEX) 82.450
9. Marius Daniel Berbecar (ROU) 81.850