INDIANAPOLIS, Jan. 13, 2014 – Tickets for the 2014 Nastia Liukin Cup, scheduled for Feb. 28, 2014, at the Greensboro (N.C.) Coliseum Complex, will go on sale at 10 a.m. ET on Jan. 17. The Nastia Liukin Cup will be held the night before the 2014 AT&T American Cup, the most prestigious international gymnastics invitational held annually on American soil and part of the International Gymnastics Federation's all-around World Cup series.
Tickets are $30 and will be available at www.ticketmaster.com, Ticketmaster outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000, and the Greensboro Coliseum box office. Discounted tickets are also available through local gym clubs that are participating in the Club Ticket Sales Program, and a list of the participating clubs is available at NastiaLiukinCup.com.
Nastia Liukin, the 2008 Olympic all-around gold medalist and two-time American Cup champion, began the Nastia Liukin Cup as a way to give back to the sport and provide additional opportunities to some of the country's top Junior Olympic female gymnasts. As a gymnast, Liukin won nine World medals, five Olympic medals, two U.S. all-around titles and two American Cup all-around crowns.
"I still remember winning the American Cup," said Liukin, who is one of the USA's most decorated gymnasts, "and I am excited that the young women competing in the Nastia Liukin Cup will have the opportunity to watch some of the world's best gymnasts. For me, meeting each of the Nastia Liukin Cup gymnasts is a great experience, and watching them compete has special meaning. I hope that I can give them a special experience, both by participating in my event and by seeing many of the top international athletes perform on the same equipment the next day."
The participants in the Nastia Liukin Cup are selected through the Nastia Liukin Cup Series, which features many of the country's top gymnastics invitational meets held throughout the United States. The final Nastia Liukin Cup qualifier will be determined at the Greater Greensboro Invitational, which will be held the week of the AT&T American Cup.
A total of 18 junior and 18 senior gymnasts will advance to the Nastia Liukin Cup. Senior athletes must be 16 years of age or older, and junior athletes must be 15 or younger. The invitational meets remaining in the 2014 Nastia Liukin Cup Series are listed below, and the numbers in parentheses indicate how many qualifiers are determined at each invitational.
- Atlanta Crown Invitational, Atlanta, Ga., Jan. 10-12 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- Kim Zmeskal's Texas Prime Meet, Irving, Texas, Jan. 17-19 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- Lady Luck Invitational, Las Vegas, Nev., Jan. 17-19 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- CGA Coaches Spectacular, Cincinnati, Ohio, Jan. 17-20 (1 JR)
- Sand Dollar/Whitlow Invitational, Kissimmee, Fla., Jan. 24-26 (1 JR, 2 SR)
- Parkettes Invitational, Allentown, Pa., Jan. 25-26 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- Wisconsin Dells Gymnastics Vacation Classic, Wisconsin Dells, Wis., Jan. 30 - Feb. 2 (1 JR)
- Arizona Sunrays Classic Rock Invitational, Phoenix, Ariz., Jan. 31 - Feb. 2 (1 SR)
- Circle of Stars Gymnastics Invitational, Indianapolis, Ind., Jan. 31 - Feb. 2 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- Fiesta Bowl Invitational, Chandler, Ariz., Feb. 7-9 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- Gliders Invitational, Ontario, Calif., Feb. 7-9 (1 SR)
- IGI Chicago Style, Chicago, Ill., Feb. 7-9 (1 JR, 2 SR)
- Pikes Peak Cup, Colorado Springs, Colo., Feb. 7-9 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- WOGA Classic, Frisco, Texas, Feb. 7-9 (2 JR, 1 SR)
- Charity Choice Invitational, Tacoma, Wash., Feb. 7-10 (1 JR)
- Buckeye Classic, Columbus, Ohio, Feb. 14-16 (1 JR)
- The Magical Classic, Orlando, Fla., Feb. 14-16 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- Presidential Classic, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., Feb. 14-17 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- Metroplex Challenge, Fort Worth, Texas, Feb. 15-16 (1 JR, 1 SR)
- Greensboro Gymnastics Invitational, Greensboro, N.C., Feb. 26 (1 SR)
Gymnasts who compete in the Nastia Liukin Cup will receive a Nastia Liukin-designed leotard and a warm-up from GK Elite; two tickets to the AT&T American Cup and recognition during the event; and the opportunity to meet Liukin and participate in a team photo.
A portion of the proceeds from the Nastia Liukin Cup benefits the Nastia Liukin Fund, a charitable fund in partnership with the National Gymnastics Foundation (www.usagym.org/foundation).
Tickets for the 2014 AT&T American Cup are also currently on sale. 2013 World all-around champion Simone Biles of Spring, Texas/Bannon's Gymnastix, 2012 Olympic team gold-medalist and 2013 World all-around silver-medalist Kyla Ross of Aliso Viejo, Calif./Gym-Max, and 2012 Olympian Sam Mikulak of Corona del Mar, Calif./University of Michigan, will represent the United States at the AT&T American Cup on Saturday, March 1. Ticket prices, which range from $25-$125, include facility fees and vary according to ticket location. Tickets are available at www.ticketmaster.com, Ticketmaster outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000, and the Greensboro Coliseum box office. For group (10+ people) sales information, please call the Coliseum group sales department at (336) 373-7433. Discounted tickets are also available through local gym clubs that are participating in the Club Ticket Sales Program. For more information, go to attamericancup.com.
Nastia Liukin. At the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Liukin's total of five medals tied the U.S. gymnastics record for most medals in one Olympic Games, held by Mary Lou Retton (1984) and Shannon Miller (1992). Liukin's Olympic medals are: gold – all-around; silver – team, balance beam and uneven bars; and bronze – floor exercise. Liukin was the third of four U.S. women to win the Olympic all-around crown. She also won nine World medals in her career. Liukin has graced many magazine covers and appeared on various shows, including "Gossip Girl," "Make It or Break it," and the feature film, "Stick It." She was also chosen as one of 2009's most influential women by MSN Lifestyle. Liukin is now attending New York University in New York City, studying sports management. Last fall, she was a member of the creative team and a cast member for the Kellogg's Tour of Olympic Champions, a national, 40-city tour that followed the 2012 Olympic Games. Liukin was coached by her father, Valeri, who has four Olympic medals from 1988 including two gold.
AT&T American Cup. The 2014 AT&T American Cup is one of the most prestigious international invitational events and features an all-around format. The list of former champions comprises some of the sport's best-known names, including Jordyn Wieber, Nastia Liukin, Jonathan Horton, Bart Conner, Paul Hamm, Shawn Johnson, Shannon Miller, Carly Patterson, Mary Lou Retton and Peter Vidmar. For more information, go to www.attamericancup.com.