From Liberty Mutual's headquarters in Boston to its Safeco Insurance company's home in Seattle, employees experienced the spirit of the Olympic and Paralympic movements through Team USA-themed games and demonstrations, and appearances by 15 U.S. Olympic and Paralympic legends, heroes and hopefuls.
Additional event locations included: Fairfield, Ohio; Indianapolis, Ind.; Irving, Texas; Lake Mary, Fla.; and Phoenix, Ariz.
"Liberty Mutual Insurance and our employees countrywide are delighted to join in the excitement surrounding Team USA and 'One Year Out' from the 2014 Olympic Winter Games," said David H. Long, president and chief executive officer of Liberty Mutual Insurance. "[The events Feb. 7} not only demonstrated the dynamic nature of the Team USA experience to our employees, but also laid the foundation of support for the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls in the communities we serve."
The "One Year Out" festivities are the first major activation of the brand's recently announced four-year sponsorship of Team USA, which designates Liberty Mutual Insurance as the Official Property and Casualty and Life Insurance Partner of the 2014 and 2016 U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Teams that will compete in Sochi, Russia, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Athletes who will join Liberty Mutual in the one-year-out celebration are:
- Boston - Mike Eruzione, Ice Hockey (1980); Michelle Kwan, Figure Skating (1998, 2002); Aly Raisman, Gymnastics (2012), John Benton and Tracy Sachtjen, Curling (2010); and Heath Calhoun, Skiing (2010 Paralympics); and Amy Purdy, Adaptive Snowboarding (2014 U.S. Paralympic hopeful)
- Seattle - Nathan Adrian, Swimming (2008, 2012); Kerri Strug, Gymnastics (1992, 1996); and Patrick Deneen, Skiing (2010)
- Irving - Carly Patterson, Gymnastics (2004)
- Phoenix - Janet Evans, Swimming (1988, 1992, 1996)
- Lake Mary - Rowdy Gaines, Swimming (1984)
- Fairfield - Kayla Harrison, Judo (2012)
- Indianapolis - Mariel Zagunis, Fencing (2004, 2008, 2012)
"There is much to be excited about as we celebrate the one year out mark to the start of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games," said Scott Blackmun, chief executive officer, USOC. "The Sochi Games will be a great event, and we are very happy to have our partner, Liberty Mutual Insurance, showing their support for U.S. Olympic and Paralympic athletes while joining fans of the Olympic Movement around the world to honor the one year out milestone."
Liberty Mutual Insurance also supports the development of youth sports through its Liberty Mutual Responsible Sports initiative, which provides resources to volunteer youth sports coaches and parents who help children succeed both on and off the field. Since 2007, the Liberty Mutual Responsible Sports program has supported youth sports organizations across the country through partnerships with Positive Coaching Alliance, Amateur Softball Association of America, American Youth Soccer Organization, USA Hockey, USA Wrestling, US Youth Soccer, USA Volleyball and USA Water Polo.