Recognizing and rewarding academic achievement in junior gymnasts is paramount to the success of the USA Gymnastics Junior Olympic Program. The Junior Program is designed to provide a training ground for the development of young athletes. While physical development is obviously important, the program must also stress development of values, morals and social skills, which will remain with these future citizens all their lives.
Encouraging a high level of academic achievement in our young athletes is as important as encouraging their athletic achievement. The USA Gymnastics Men’s Program has therefore established the following Academic All-American Recognition Award program to be presented annually at the Junior National Championships.
In order to be eligible for the USA Gymnastics Academic All-American Recognition award, you must be a current USA Gymnastics student athlete in grades 9-12 with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. Home schooled athletes are also eligible.
Athletes do not have to qualify to Junior Olympic Nationals to be eligible.
Application Procedure and Deadline
- The applicants GPA must be certified by the school counselor and should appear on the application, in all cases, converted to a 4.0 scale.
- A home schooled athlete must have his GPA confirmed by an accredited independent organization or school system that is responsible for oversight and certification of that athlete’s home school studies. In the absence of such confirmation, no Academic All-American Award may be granted (JOPC 9/13/13).
- The required application and certification must be submitted to the USA Gymnastics Men’s Program Manager by February 15, with a $20.00 per gymnast processing fee. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Academic All-American applications are to be completed online. After an application is submitted, the applicant will receive an email confirming the online submission. The confirmation email will have a PDF attachment that must be taken to the school counselor to have her/him fill in the GPA, sign it and affix the school seal. Mail this in with the processing fee.
- 2017 Academic All-American Recognition Application e-submission is now closed. Please visit us in 2018.