Boerne Gymnastics Center
105 Stonegate Road
Boerne, TX 78006
Owner: Lorna Spellman
Enrollment: 500+ students
Size (sq ft): 11,600 sq ft (includes office and waiting areas)
Started in 1983 as a small recreational gymnastics program called Fantastic Gymnastics in Boerne, Texas by Lorna Spellman. Boerne is a small town but the program grew and the need for a permanent facility became evident. In 1991 we built our current facility and renamed it Boerne Gymnastics Center. We included a climbing wall and a circus aerial program in our design so kids would have an interesting variety of ways to workout. We host numerous meets each year for Boys, Girls and Acrobatics.
The mission of Boerne Gymnastics Center is to provide opportunities for families to pursue fitness through gymnastics and related activities.
- Recreational programs: Girls & Boys Gymnastics, Acrobatics, Tumbling & Trampoline, Cheer Prep, Preschool Gymnastics, Parent & Tots.
- Team Programs: USAG and TAAF Women's Artistic, USAG Men's Artistic, USAG Acrobatic Gymnastics.
- Special programs: Gym Bus. Circus Aerial and Circus Show Team
- Birthday parties/ Field Trips/Indoor climbing/Home school PE/Homespun
- Summer Camps: Gymnastics, Acrobatics, Circus Arts, Cheer
About the Owner: Lorna Spellman
Lorna Spellman grew up with gymnastics as her father was a gymnast and coach with Eric Lester Hughs who started the University of Washington men's gymnastics team and Larry Griswald who worked with George Nissan in the development of the trampoline. Lorna competed on a High School Gymnastics Team in Sylmar, California and performed with Olympian Muriel Grossfeld in a football halftime. She then worked for Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Circus doing a 35 foot high dive, aerial work and riding elephants under the training of stuntman Bobby Yerkes. She moved to Louisiana and joined forces with her family's dance studio and taught gymnastics for 8 years.
In 1981 she moved to Boerne, Texas with plans to be a stay at home mom with her husband and two kids. In less than a year she was back coaching an afterschool gymnastics program and teaching motor skills classes at local pre-schools. This grew into a full time business named "Fantastic Gymnastics". She built her current building in 1991 and renamed the business "Boerne Gymnastics Center". Lorna is a USAG Pro member and Meet Director for Acrobatic Gymnastics. She is also a former Judge and Texas State Director for Acro. She has been a speaker for USAG Regional Congress and the Gymnastics Assoc of Texas," GAT". She became a life member of GAT in 2010. She still loves to coach but spends most of her time over seeing BGC and making plans for expansion. She feels that it is important to remember that gymnastics is the foundation to all other sports and to keep the focus on fun and fitness at each child's individual level.
About the Staff:
Each of our staff at BGC is USAG Safety and CPR/First Aid certified and background checked. Most coaches have 20+ years of coaching experience. They love what they do and are constantly upgrading their training through USAG and GAT. All coaches teach recreational classes plus their teams to stay in touch with the foundations of teaching.
- Bobby Martinez: Girls Team Head Coach - Former gym owner with 20+ years coaching experience. Coached State, Regional and National Champions.
- Sveltlana Todorova: Girls Team Assistant Coach - Former Olympian Barcelona 1992, Bulgaria National Team
- Rumen Lachkov: Acrobatic Gymnastics Team Head Coach - Former Vice World Champion and European All Around Champion. Men's Pair, Bulgaria National Team
- Radostina Lachkov: Acrobatic Gymnastics Team Coach and Choreographer - Former International and National Champion Acrobatics, Bulgaria National Team
- Jack McClure: Girls TAAF Team Head Coach - 20 + years coaching experience. W300
- Brandon Kaiser: Boys Team Head Coach - Former athlete at Cypress Academy.
- Kari McClure: Preschool Director - 10 years coaching experiance KAT, MELPED, W200
- Natasha Villarreal: Acrobatic Gymnastics Coach & choreographer. Gym Bus, Circus Arts and Camp Director - Sr. Elite women's trio.
- Bart Byerley: Tumbling & Trampoline and Cheer coach - Former cheerleader at UTSA.
- DeShay Eisenmeinger: Acro & Girls gym instructor - Silver medalist at Acrobatic Gymnastics World Age Group Championships . USAG athlete of the year. Acrobatics Sr. Elite women's trio.
- Danielle Elliott: Girls Gymnastics and Acro instructor - Former Acrobatics Elite Women's Group National Team and International competitor.
- Jordan Hovey: Girls Gymnastics and TAAF instructor - Former Level 10 Women's Artistic competitor.
What is unique about your business?
Circus Arts is a great way to inspire kids to shine because it offers so many options from aerial skills on single trapeze, lyra and silks to unicycles, stilt walking, hula hooping, rolling globe, acrobatics and much more. Lorna says "Put a kid in a costume and some makeup and they begin to step out and try new things". Many of our gymnasts started in Circus Arts Camp and decided to stay in the gym because they love learning fun new things.
Some of the greatest achievements at BGC are:
- First time for USA to medal at the Acrobatic Gymnastics World Age Group Championships - Hayley Lemmons & DeShay Eisenmeinger Silver medalists at 2008 Glasgow, Scotland. They were awarded 2008 Acro athletes of the year by Region 3 and USAG.
- First Sr. Elite Women's Trio from Texas 2014 - Lilly Bowler, DeShay Eisenmeinger & Natasha Villarreal.
- Former BGC athlete & coach, Elizabeth Gagnon, aerial performer for Sea World and now performing with Franco Dragone's "The House of Dancing Water" in Macao, China.