What: The USA Gymnastics Fitness Program is an initiative that encourages physical fitness through fun activities that emphasizes strength training, cardiovascular exercise, flexibility and good nutrition.
Who: The program is geared toward children 3-16 years old and can be used for gymnasts from recreation to team. The program is designed for year-round use to develop a physically active lifestyle for today's youth. The new USA Gymnastics Fitness Program also features scales of measurement, additional movement training exercises, as well as exercises for three levels of fitness: beginner, intermediate and advanced students. Other new materials include individual online video breakdowns of every exercise, a participant progression chart, updated Fitness and National Gymnastics Day logos.
Where: The USA Gymnastics Fitness Program can be held at any gymnastics club, youth organization, school or community center. You can find a local club by calling 1-800-345-4719 or visiting www.usagymparents.com.
Video tips from St. Vincent's Sports Performance
- Conditioning is the core of any fitness plan and the basis of any sport
- Today's children are considered the most inactive generation in history.
- Gymnastics clubs are a fun and safe environment and many already have fitness-related activities and classes.
- Approximately one in five kids is overweight, a percentage that has more than doubled in the last 30 years. Childhood obesity is considered the most common nutritional disorder of U.S. children. (American Obesity Association)
- Gymnastics provide a solid foundation for becoming physically fit and preparing to participate in other activities and sports.
Click here to see the handbook. You can read it in our interactive viewer or to download a PDF copy.