This course is a must have for preschool instructors and teachers. R101 covers young child development theory in the context of gymnastics movement education. This course will help instructors better understand their students and better prepare, organize, and run safe and successful preschool classes. It provides a foundation of knowledge for all preschool educators.
Course topics include teaching philosophy, stages of child development, characteristics of a good teacher, class management, safety considerations, skill deconstruction, lesson planning, and program assessment.
R101 Preschool Fundamentals: Theory is offered solely online. The course will take approximately four hours to complete. Participants will have access to the course for 30 days after registration and may access the course as often as they wish during that period. The course must be completed during this time or re-registration and payment is required. Re-registration can only be achieved by contacting member services at 1-800-345-4719.
The course is comprised of five modules or sections. At the end of each module, participants will be required to take an exam. Users must pass the exam at 80% or better and have an unlimited number of tries to pass the exam. The exam must be passed before moving to the next module. There will not be a comprehensive exam at the end.
It is strongly recommended to complete R101 prior to taking R102 Preschool Fundamentals: Hands on Training (HOTPS), but this is not a requirement.
The course will take approximately four hours to complete.
Haven't created a username and password? Click here.
once you are logged in.
- Current USA Gymnastics Member Online R101: Registration: $39 NEW LOWER PRICE!
- Current USA Gymnastics Member In-House R101 Registration: $44
- R101 Course Audit: $59 (a certificate/university credit is unavailable to non-members)
- Non-Member: $54. Click here to become a Member and receive the course for $39!
Course attendees must be a minimum of 14 years old.
- Enhance the status of recreational gymnastics programs throughout the United States.
- Establish requirements for certification which will help identify competent preschool and recreational gymnastics teachers.
- Provide appropriate information for preschool and recreational gymnastics teachers.
- Help standardize recreational gymnastics teaching throughout the United States.
- Provide resources, instructional materials, and assistance at all levels of teaching.
Preschool Fundamentals - Questions and Answers - FAQ regarding the Preschool Fundamentals courses.
Additional Resources: Please visit the USA gymnastics online store for an opportunity to purchase the KAT and Movement Education Lesson Plan Development (MELPD) work books. These resources compliment material presented in the R101 and R102 Preschool Fundamentals courses.
Click here to view supplementary Preschool teacher products.
Upon completion of the course, members can print out a certificate of course completion on their USA Gymnastics "My Profile" page.