Dominique Moceanu from Houston, Texas, the reigning U.S. National Champion, leads the Motorola World Team Trials after the compulsory round of competition at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.
Moceanu is followed closely by two-time World Champion Shannon Miller from Edmond, Okla., in second place. In third is Dominique Dawes from Silver Spring, Md.
Moceanu commented, “I hope to do well tomorrow and make the World Championships Team. Japan (the site of the 1995 World Championships) is really far away, and I’m really excited for the trip.”
Competition concludes Saturday, September 9 at 7:00 p.m.
Seven gymnasts will make up the World Championships Team and will travel to Sabae, Japan, for the World Championships, October 1-10.
1. Dominique Moceanu/Hollywood, Calif./Karolyi’s/56.587
2. Shannon Miller/Edmond, Okla./Dynamo’s/56.496
3. Dominique Dawes/Silver Spring, Md./Hill’s Angels/55.815
4. Kerri Strug/Tucson, Ariz./Colo. Aerials/55.635
5. Amy Chow/San Jose, Calif./West Valley/54.931
6. Doni Thompson/Colorado Springs, Colo./Colo. Aerials/54.696
7. Mary Beth Arnold/Sparks, Nev./Flips Gym./54.648
8. Theresa Kulikowski/Colorado Springs, Colo./Colo. Aerials/54.372
9. Katie Teft/Grand Rapids, Mich./Great Lakes/53.923
10. Andree Pickens/Houston, Texas/Cypress/53.835
11. Reagan Tomasek/Mastic Beach, N.Y./Hill’s Angels/53.776
12. Alecia Ingram/Knoxville, Tenn./Dynamo/53.764
13. Monica Flammer/Houston, Texas/Cypress/53.757
14. Mohini Bhardwaj/Cincinnati, Ohio/Brown’s/53.061
15. Jaycie Phelps/Greenfield, Ind./Cincinnati/23.319*
16. Heather Brink/Colon, Neb./Dynamo’s/22.527*
*Injured and did compete in the competition. This score carries over from the Coca-Cola National Championships.