INDIANAPOLIS, Jan. 14, 2013 – The first three gymnasts qualified this past weekend for the 2013 Nastia Liukin Cup through the Nastia Liukin Cup Series, which continues this weekend with the Pikes Peak Cup in Colorado Springs, Colo.; the CGA Coaches Spectacular in Cincinnati, Ohio; Kim Zmeskal’s Texas Prime Meet in Irving, Texas; and the Lady Luck Invitational in Las Vegas, Nev.
The gymnasts who advanced to the Nastia Liukin Cup are:
- Atlanta Crown Invitational, Atlanta, Ga. – Emily Schild of Huntersville, N.C./Everest Gymnastics.
- Circle of Stars Gymnastics Invitational, Indianapolis, Ind. – Kiera Brown of Newport News, Va./World Class Gymnastics; and Sydney Doggette of Pickerington, Ohio/Buckeye Gymnastics.
The balance of the field will qualify from the remaining invitational meets in the Nastia Liukin Cup Series, which runs through mid-February. A designated number of gymnasts from each invitational advance to the Nastia Liukin Cup, scheduled for Friday, March 1, in Worcester, Mass., in conjunction with the American Cup (March 2). The remaining Nastia Liukin Cup Series schedule is as follows.
- Pikes Peak Cup, Colorado Springs, Colo., Jan. 18-20
- CGA Coaches Spectacular, Cincinnati, Ohio, Jan. 18-20
- Kim Zmeskal’s Texas Prime Meet, Irving, Texas, Jan. 18-20
- Lady Luck Invitational, Las Vegas, Nev., Jan. 18-20
- Sand Dollar/Whitlow Invitational, Kissimmee, Fla., Jan. 25-27
- Wisconsin Dells Gymnastics Vacation Classic, Wisconsin Dells, Wis., Jan. 25-27
- Parkettes Invitational, Allentown, Pa., Jan. 25-27
- San Diego Classic, San Diego, Calif., Jan. 25-27
- Fiesta Bowl Invitational, Chandler, Ariz., Feb. 8-10
- Charity Choice Invitational, Tacoma, Wash., Feb. 8-10
- IGI Chicago Style, Chicago, Ill., Feb. 8-10
- Gliders Invitational, Ontario, Calif., Feb. 8-9
- The Magical Classic, Orlando, Fla., Feb. 15-16
- Buckeye Classic, Columbus, Ohio, Feb. 15-17
- Presidential Classic, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., Feb. 15-17
- WOGA Classic, Frisco, Texas, Feb. 15-17
- Arizona Sunrays Classic Rock Invitational, Phoenix, Ariz., Feb. 15-17
Gymnasts who compete in the Nastia Liukin Cup will receive a Nastia Liukin-designed leotard and a warm-up from GK Elite; two tickets to the American Cup and recognition during the event; and the opportunity to meet Liukin and participate in a team photo.
A portion of the proceeds from the Nastia Liukin Cup benefits the Nastia Liukin Fund, a charitable fund in partnership with the National Gymnastics Foundation (www.usagym.org/foundation).
Nastia Liukin. At the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Liukin’s total of five medals tied the U.S. gymnastics record for most medals in one Olympic Games, held by Mary Lou Retton (1984) and Shannon Miller (1992). Liukin’s Olympic medals are: gold – all-around; silver – team, balance beam and uneven bars; and bronze – floor exercise. Liukin was the third of four U.S. women to win the Olympic all-around crown. She also won nine World medals in her career. Liukin has graced many magazine covers and appeared on various shows, including "Gossip Girl," "Make It or Break it," and the feature film, "Stick It." She was also chosen as one of 2009’s most influential women by MSN Lifestyle. Liukin is now attending college in New York City. Last fall, she was a member of the creative team and a cast member for the Kellogg’s Tour of Olympic Champions, a national, 40-city tour that followed the 2012 Olympic Games. Liukin was coached by her father, Valeri, who has four Olympic medals from 1988 including two gold.
American Cup. The 2013 American Cup, an FIG World Cup event, is one of the most prestigious international invitational events and features an all-around format. The list of former champions comprises some of the sport’s best-known names, including Jordyn Wieber, Nastia Liukin, Jonathan Horton, Bart Conner, Paul Hamm, Shawn Johnson, Shannon Miller, Carly Patterson, Mary Lou Retton and Peter Vidmar. For more information, go to www.usagym.org/americancup.