Boston – 2000 U.S. National Champion Elise Ray (Columbia, Md.) maintained her number one position after the first night of competition at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials-Gymnastics.
Jamie Dantzscher (Palmdale, Calif.) is in fourth place with 52.715. She scored a 9.812 on floor exercise, the highest score of the evening.
Morgan White (Fairfield, Ohio) finished in fifth place with 52.526 while Vanessa Atler (Canyon Country, Calif.) is in sixth with 52.161.
Kendall Beck (Allentown, Pa.) withdrew from the competition with a sore left hip.
Standings after the Women’s Preliminary Competition are as follows:
- Elise Ray (Columbia, Md.) 54.081
- Kristen Maloney (Pen Argyl, Pa.) 53.376
- Amy Chow (San Jose, Calif.) 53.045
- Jamie Dantzscher (Palmdale, Calif.) 52.715
- Morgan White (Farfield, Ohio) 52.526
- Vanessa Atler (Canyon Country, Calif.) 52.161
- Dominique Dawes (Silver Spring, Md.) 51.751
- Alyssa Beckerman (Wyoming, Ohio) 51.517
- Tasha Schwikert (Las Vegas, Nev.) 51.282
- Rachel Tidd (San Marcos, Calif.) 51.126
- Shannon Miller (Edmond, Okla.) 37.054
- Jeanette Antolin (Paradise, Calif.) 35.687
- Amanda Stroud (Blue Springs, Mo.) 35.161
- Kendall Beck (Allentown,Pa.) 34.557
“I felt like I really got my head together today. I try to go for perfection and I’m really happy when I do it…It just felt really good to go out and compete. I’m looking forward to Sunday.”
“There were good things and bad things overall tonight but I’m pretty happy. I was no more nervous than any other meet. I know it’s been hard since Championships to stay up. Tonight I was just cheering and pulling for everyone.”
“I really enjoyed the competition all the way through…I’m happy I made it through all four events…I know where my mistakes were and I know that I will clean them up by Sunday.”
“I just want to keep consistent and move forward towards Sunday. One of the best things that I have going for me is that there is a lot of room for improvement.”
“I want to do better on Sunday and make this Olympic Team.”
“I’m still going to be happy no matter how I do…I came here to have fun…at this point that’s all that really matters. The vault was a good event for me–it got me started off well.”
“At this point I have no choice but to stay positive and look toward Sunday.”
“I’m very happy I made vault. I feel pretty good about today. I made some mistakes that I’m looking forward to correcting on Sunday.”
“Tonight was obviously a big night. I was a little more nervous than I usually am…it was my biggest meet ever. I did some things wrong but overall I felt like I did pretty well.”