- Finals Results
- Senior: All-Around | Events
- 16-18: All-Around | Events
- 14-15: All-Around | Events
- Men’s National Teams named
- Photo Gallery
- Complete results, recaps, photos and videos
SAINT PAUL, Minn., Aug. 19, 2011 – Adrian de los Angeles of Long Beach, Calif./SCATS Gymnastics (16-18), and Sean Melton of Orlando, Fla./Orlando Metro Gymnastics (14-15), won the all-around titles with a score of 166.600 and 167.250, respectively, in the junior competition at the 2011 Visa Championships at the Xcel Energy Center in Saint Paul, Minn.
De Los Angeles, who entered the competition in fifth place, posted his high score of the competition on the vault with a 15.300, executing a nearly stuck Tsukahara double twist. In addition De Los Angeles posted 13.400 on the floor, a 13.600 on the pommel horse, a 13.700 on the still rings, a 14.400 on the parallel bars and a 14.250 on the horizontal bar.
"It’s why we do the sport everyday, why we push ourselves so hard – it’s just awesome," De los Angeles said.
Finishing in close second was Jonathan Deaton of Longmeadow, Mass./Tim Daggett’s Gold Medal Gymnastics, with a score of 166.500. The third place all-around winner was Jesse Glenn of Northridge, Calif./SCATS Gymnastics, scoring a 166.350.
Keeping the lead from day one, Melton recorded his highest score of the day on the vault performing a double twisting Yurchenko for a 15.300. Melton scored a 14.700 on floor, a 13.100 on pommel horse, a 13.400 on still rings, 14.450 on parallel bars, and a 13.300 on the high bar.
"Well today felt pretty good," Melton said. "The first day I struggled a lot, but I ended up pulling it together and pulling off a performance I am very happy with."
Receiving the 14-15 all-around silver medal was Timothy Wang of Riverside, Calif./South Coast Gymnastics, with a score of 164.850. Third place went to Akash Modi of Morganville, N.J./ Monmouth Gymnastic Academy Inc., scoring a 163.750.
Event champions for the 16-18 age group, based on two-day totals, are: Deaton, floor exercise, 29.450; Ellis Mannon of Indianapolis, Ind./Indy School of Gymnastics, pommel horse, 28.000; Max Mayr of Miami, Fla./Universal Gymnastics, still rings, 28.450; Deaton, vault, 31.400; Mayr, parallel bars, 29.100; and Glenn, horizontal bar, 28.550.
Event champions for the 14-15 age group, based on two-day totals, are: Modi, floor exercise, 28.300; Melton, pommel horse, 26.500, still rings, 27.000, and parallel bars, 28.850; Hunter Justus of Cypress, Texas/Cypress Academy of Gymnastics, vault, 31.250; Wang, horizontal bar, 27.450.
The scores from both days were added together to determine the all-around rankings and national champions.
The U.S. junior national team was named following the competition, based on all-around rankings for each age division.
Adrian de los Angeles, Long Beach, Calif./SCATS Gymnastics Deaton
Jonathan Deaton, Longmeadow, Mass./Tim Daggett’s Gold Medal Gymnastics
Jesse Glenn, Northridge, Calif./SCATS Gymnastics
Trevor Howard, Columbus, Ohio/Hocking Valley Gymnastics
Jake Martin, Oviedo, Fla./Orlando Metro Gymnastics
Max Mayr, Miami, Fla./Universal Gymnastics
Joey Peters, Orefield, Pa./Parkettes
Allan Bower, Chandler, Ariz./Xtreme Gymnastics
Daniel DiBenedetto, Vernon, Conn./Tim Daggett Gold Medal Gymnastics
Jesse Himmelsbach, Butler, Ky./Queen City Gymnastics/Kids First
Hunter Justus, Cypress, Texas/Cypress Academy
Marvin Kimble, Milwaukee, Wis./Swiss Turner’s Gymnastics Academy
Sean Melton, Orlando, Fla./Orlando Metro Gymnastics
Akash Modi, Morganville, N.J./Monmouth Gymnastic Academy Inc.
Timothy Wang, Riverside, Calif./South Coast Gymnastics
The 2011 Visa Championships, USA Gymnastics’ national championships, features the country’s best gymnasts vying for national titles and spots on the U.S. National Team in men’s, women’s and rhythmic gymnastics. Men’s and women’s gymnastics will be held at Xcel Energy Center, Aug. 17-20, and rhythmic gymnastics will be at Roy Wilkins Auditorium Aug. 19-20. Tickets for the four-day event are on sale now, with individual session tickets, as well as multi- and all-session ticket packages. Tickets may be purchased at the Xcel Energy Center Box Office, Ticketmaster Ticket Centers, by phone at 800-745-3000, and online at www.ticketmaster.com. In recognition of Visa’s sponsorship, USA Gymnastics is proud to accept only Visa at the 2011 Visa Championships, along with cash. For ticket and event information, go to www.usagym.org/visa.
Television and webcast coverage
- Universal Sports. Universal Sports television will broadcast the men’s and women’s senior competitions live on Aug. 18 and 19 beginning at 8 p.m. ET. Competition in the first day of the senior women’s competition will be simultaneously webcast on UniversalSports.com, while the final day of both the men’s and women’s championship will be available for on-demand streaming following the television broadcast. To find a Universal Sports channel in a specific area, click here.
- NBC Sports. Live, prime-time coverage of the final day of the senior women’s competition on NBC Sports begins at 8 p.m. ET on Aug. 20. Action from the men’s competition will air on NBC Sports beginning at 4:30 p.m. ET on Aug. 21.
- "Around the Gym." "Around the Gym," which provides commentary, recaps and interviews, will air on Universal Sports half an hour before and immediately following the Universal Sports telecasts on Aug. 18 and 19, as well as after the conclusion of the NBC Sports broadcast on Aug. 20. 2008 Olympic all-around champion Nastia Liukin and three-time Olympic team member John Roethlisberger serve as hosts for the show.
Ways to follow
- Online. The 2011 Visa Championships and its ancillary activities are easier than ever to follow online. Schedules and general information for both fan activities and the competition, including the official event program, start lists, live scoring and more are available at www.usagym.org/visa, which is easily viewable on smart phones and other digital devices. The increased information online is just part of the overall effort to make the 2011 Visa Championships the "greenest" to date.
- Social Media. USA Gymnastics are connecting with fans on Facebook (facebook.com/USAGymnastics) and Twitter (@USAGym), providing live updates and exclusive content including videos and photos from the Visa Championships. Gymnastics fans can follow the action easily on Twitter by using the official hashtag of the 2011 Visa Championships, #visachamps.
- Fan Activities. USA Gymnastics will be hosting a wide-range of fan activities at Saint Paul’s Rice Park, adjacent to the Xcel Energy Center and Roy Wilkins Auditorium including 6:30 a.m. morning fitness, lunchtime gymnastics demonstrations and Painting in the Park presented by Art of the Olympians. Fans can also gather for fun between the women’s gymnastics sessions on Aug. 20 and post-competition Aug. 19-20 in Rice Park for the Visa Fan Fest to enjoy interviews, food, music and celebrate the Visa Championships.
- USA Gymnastics National Congress and Trade Show. The USA Gymnastics National Congress and Trade Show is held in conjunction with the Visa Championships and will be conducted next door at Saint Paul RiverCentre. The USA Gymnastics National Congress and Trade Show is the annual gathering of professional members that offers educational and business sessions, a large exhibitor’s hall and other business and educational opportunities.
- Xcel Energy Center. Regarded as one of the finest arenas in the world, Xcel Energy Center is home to the NHL’s Minnesota Wild, the NLL’s Minnesota Swarm and a multitude of premier sports and entertainment events annually. The one-of-a-kind, multi-purpose facility is located in the heart of downtown Saint Paul, owned by the City of Saint Paul and managed by Saint Paul Arena Company, an affiliate of Minnesota Sports & Entertainment.
- Saint Paul RiverCentre. Saint Paul RiverCentre is the city’s premier convention center that overlooks the bluffs of the Mississippi River. Featuring more than 250,000 square feet of versatile event space and flexible room configurations that include the Grand Ballroom and The Legendary Roy Wilkins Auditorium, Saint Paul RiverCentre is the preferred choice for hundreds of events each year including star-studded galas, trade shows and conventions.
- Visit Saint Paul. The mission of Visit Saint Paul is to generate economic growth for Saint Paul by effectively marketing the RiverCentre campus, Saint Paul and the region as a preferred convention and tourism destination.