COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., March 31, 2012 – The U.S. Air Force Academy and Arizona State University successfully defended their varsity and collegiate club team titles at the 2012 USA Gymnastics Men’s Collegiate National Championships, held at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo. Andrew Faulk of the U.S. Naval Academy and Alex Gaudaur of ASU won the varsity and club all-around titles. The individual event finals are March 31 at 5 p.m. MT.
The Air Force won its third straight varsity team title, posting a 341.050 total. The College of William and Mary was second at 331.850, followed by the U.S. Navy at 326.900. Springfield College was fourth at 324.350. In the club division, ASU won its sixth consecutive and 15th overall team title by scoring a team total of 328.600. The College of Brockport was second at 289.900, followed by the University of Washington in third at 287.450.
Faulk, who was third in the all-around in 2011, won the varsity all-around title with his 84.300. William and Mary’s JJ. Jindra was second, edging out the Navy’s Chris Junghans, 82.200 to 82.000. In the club division, ASU swept the all-around medals. Gaudaur won the gold medal with his 83.200. Lee Wilkerson was the silver medalist at 80.900, with Stephen Gragg claiming the bronze at 79.600.
At the men’s USA Gymnastics Collegiate Championships, the team and all-around competition are divided into two categories, varsity and collegiate. The varsity competition is for Division II and III schools with gymnastics as a varsity sport and the military academies, and the collegiate team category is for two-year or four-year degree-granting schools with gymnastics as a club sport. The individual event finals combine the two divisions into one.
2012 USA Gymnastics Men’s Collegiate Championships
U.S. Air Force Academy
Colorado Springs, Colo.
Team and all-around finals
- Team finals
1. U.S. Air Force Academy – 341.050
2. College of William and Mary – 331.850
3. United States Naval Academy – 326.900
4. Springfield College – 324.350
1. Andrew Faulk, U.S. Naval Academy – 84.300
2. JJ Jindra, College of William & Mary – 82.200
3. Chris Junghans, U.S. Naval Academy – 82.000
4. Daniel Potemski, College of William & Mary – 81.600
5. Futa Ikeda, College of William & Mary – 79.250
6. Ty Evans, Springfield College – 79.150
Collegiate Club Team Results
- Team finals
1. Arizona State University – 328.60
2. College of Brockport – 289.90
3. University of Washington – 287.45
1. Alex Gaudaur, Arizona State University – 83.200
2. Lee Wilkerson, Arizona State University – 80.900
3. Stephen Gragg, Arizona State University – 79.600
4. Stewart MacDonald, Arizona State University – 78.950
5. Peter Moser, Springfield College – 78.900
6. Greg Steward, University of Washington – 74.800