- More Nastia Liukin Cup information
INDIANAPOLIS, Feb. 11, 2013 – With one week of Nastia Liukin Cup Series action still to come, eight more gymnasts earned berths to the Nastia Liukin Cup this past weekend through the Nastia Liukin Cup Series. The Series concludes Feb. 15-17 with five invitationals, including the Magical Classic in Orlando, Fla.; the Buckeye Classic in Columbus, Ohio; the Presidential Classic in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.; the Arizona Sunrays Classic Rock Invitational in Phoenix, Ariz.; and the WOGA Classic in Frisco, Texas, which is hosted by Liukin’s home club.
The gymnasts who advanced to the Nastia Liukin Cup are:
- Fiesta Bowl Invitational, Chandler, Ariz. – Felicia Hano of San Gabriel, Calif./West Coast Elite, and Alexis Mattern of Harrisburg, Pa./Artistic Sports Academy Plus
- Charity Choice Invitational, Tacoma, Wash. – Hannah Miller of Farmington, Utah/Olympus School of Gymnastics
- IGI Chicago Style, Chicago, Ill. – Sydney Johnson-Scharpf of Groveland, Fla./Brandy Johnson’s Global Gymnastics, Kari Lee of Peoria, Ariz./Flames Gymnastics Academy, and Aja Sims of Orlando, Fla./Brandy Johnson’s Global Gymnastics
- Gliders Invitational, Ontario, Calif. – Kaytianna McMillan of Coburg, Ore./National Academy of Artistic Gymnastics, and Alma Kuc of Pacific Palisades, Calif./All-Olympia Gymnastics Center
The remainder of the field will qualify from the remaining invitational meets in the Nastia Liukin Cup Series, which concludes this weekend. A designated number of gymnasts from each invitational advance to the Nastia Liukin Cup, scheduled for Friday, March 1, in Worcester, Mass., in conjunction with the American Cup (March 2). The remaining Nastia Liukin Cup Series schedule is as follows.
- The Magical Classic, Orlando, Fla., Feb. 15-16
- Buckeye Classic, Columbus, Ohio, Feb. 15-17
- Presidential Classic, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., Feb. 15-17
- WOGA Classic, Frisco, Texas, Feb. 15-17
- Arizona Sunrays Classic Rock Invitational, Phoenix, Ariz., Feb. 15-17
Gymnasts who compete in the Nastia Liukin Cup will receive a Nastia Liukin-designed leotard and a warm-up from GK Elite; two tickets to the American Cup and recognition during the event; and the opportunity to meet Liukin and participate in a team photo.
A portion of the proceeds from the Nastia Liukin Cup benefits the Nastia Liukin Fund, a charitable fund in partnership with the National Gymnastics Foundation (www.usagym.org/foundation).
Nastia Liukin. At the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Liukin’s total of five medals tied the U.S. gymnastics record for most medals in one Olympic Games, held by Mary Lou Retton (1984) and Shannon Miller (1992). Liukin’s Olympic medals are: gold – all-around; silver – team, balance beam and uneven bars; and bronze – floor exercise. Liukin was the third of four U.S. women to win the Olympic all-around crown. She also won nine World medals in her career. Liukin has graced many magazine covers and appeared on various shows, including "Gossip Girl," "Make It or Break it," and the feature film, "Stick It." She was also chosen as one of 2009’s most influential women by MSN Lifestyle. Liukin is now attending college in New York City. Last fall, she was a member of the creative team and a cast member for the Kellogg’s Tour of Olympic Champions, a national, 40-city tour that followed the 2012 Olympic Games. Liukin was coached by her father, Valeri, who has four Olympic medals from 1988 including two gold.
American Cup. The 2013 American Cup, an FIG World Cup event, is one of the most prestigious international invitational events and features an all-around format. The list of former champions comprises some of the sport’s best-known names, including Jordyn Wieber, Nastia Liukin, Jonathan Horton, Bart Conner, Paul Hamm, Shawn Johnson, Shannon Miller, Carly Patterson, Mary Lou Retton and Peter Vidmar. For more information, go to www.usagym.org/americancup.