Dear USA Gymnastics Clubs:
The United States Olympians Association (USOA) is celebrating the 2012 London Olympic Games by having a nationwide campaign. To that end, they would like to invite you - gymnastics clubs, to be a part of the celebration and join them as they "Walk to London in 2012, a celebration of the Olympic Spirit in all of US!"
We have all been charged to increase our efforts to combat obesity in the U.S. More than that, Olympic Sports are suffering from a dearth of new young participants. We believe that a national program utilizing all of our combined energies - Olympians & Paralympians, National Governing Bodies and Multi-Sports Organizations - leading up to the Games could generate a new crop of Americans excited about Olympic sports and the Olympic Movement.
Our concept is simple, Olympians and Paralympians gather in each of our 20 Chapters around the nation. We invite people to join us for a ceremonial 1-3 mile walk in an iconic location in a city. We start from the West Coast in the first week of April and move across country to the East Coast. The final U.S. walk will be in Washington, DC on Olympic Day. The final celebration will be in the Olympic Park in London right before the Games begin on July 29. We will have more details to share shortly. In the meantime here is a preliminary list of where we will be.
When: National Walk begins Saturday, April 7 and ends Saturday, June 23
- Saturday, April 7 - Southern California
- Sunday, April 15 - Northern California, Nevada
- Sunday, April 22 - Oregon, Washington
- Sunday, April 29 - Utah, Arizona
- Sunday May 6 - Idaho, Texas
- Sunday May 13 - Colorado, Indiana
- Sunday May 20 - Missouri, Illinois
- Sunday May 27 - Mid-West, Michigan
- Sunday, June 3 - Florida, Georgia
- Sunday, June 10 - Alabama, Tri-State
- Sunday, June 17 - New England, Ohio
- Saturday, June 23 - Washington, DC
- Set up "KIDZONES - Olympic Sports Clinic" at the end of the walk that will allow kids to participate in your sport.
- Provide brochures with information on how the kids can find a local sports organization for them to visit or join.
- Provide our Chapters with a list of sport resources to distribute.
Our Olympians and Paralympians will promote your sports in the KIDZONES and encourage kids to participate.
Please join them by sending an email to email@example.com and letting him know that you and your organization are "all in" and willing to participate. In the email, please identify the contact in your organization with whom we can work with.