||Oct. 14, 2010
|IN THIS ISSUE
Greetings from USA Gymnastics!
As always, please contact Member Services with any questions you may have. Our team is happy to assist you.
800.345.4719 (phone) | 317.692.5212 (fax) | email@example.com
Your friends at USA Gymnastics
Training Pit Tips
- The purpose of training pits is to reduce the harshness of impacts by decelerating the gymnast over a large distance.
- Loose foam pits require periodic fluffing to maintain the softness of the landing.
- Pits should be used only under supervision.
- Only one athlete should enter a pit area at one time.
- Gymnasts should never attempt to land head first in a foam pit.
- Pit edges and sides should be padded.
- Extricating an injured athlete from a foam pit is difficult, particularly from a loose foam pit. Extrication procedures should be practiced and local emergency medical units should be informed of the challenges and involved in any rescue efforts. Whenever possible, local emergency medical personnel should be invited to practice extrication of an injured gymnast.
Be the hostess with the mostest!
Are you interested in hosting an educational course at your gym?
Here is what you need to know as a potential host club:
- Your gym will receive one complimentary registration, for each workshop you host, with a minimum of 12 paid participants (Two complimentary registrations if you are a Member Club).
- USA Gymnastics must receive at least a minimum of 8 paid registrations in order to conduct the H.O.T. Course. Help us to promote the course!
- Please make sure that the lecture area is away from loud noises or distractions, so an effective session may be conducted.
- You will be responsible for transporting the Instructor to and from the airport, hotel and workshop, if necessary.
- All attendees must pre-register with USA Gymnastics at least 2 weeks prior to the workshop, including those participants that may have complimentary registrations. Just send in their registration with "Free for Host Gym" written in the payment section. The minimum age is 16.
Guidelines for Training Pits Poster
Item: # 6107
This colorful poster includes numerous safety tips for use of foam pits. Tips for both coaches and athletes are provided, as well as pictures of correct usage. Hang these posters throughout your gym to encourage safe usage of foam pits. Included with the poster is a black and white handout page.
Click here to order!
Training Pit Tips
Be the hostest with the mostest!
Fundamentals of Gymnastics Instruction Course
Safety Materials for Sale
There's still time left! Better your business by participating in a gymnastics safety course in your area in 2010:
15 - Minot, ND
16 - Overland Park, KS
16 - State College, PA
17 - Hilliard, OH
17 - Valparaiso, IN
22 - South Jordan, UT
13 - Portsmouth, NH
27 - Stroudsburg, PA
28 - Elgin, IL
*please check the schedule online to verify course dates and times
Vice President of Member Services
Director of Educational Services
|FREE Educational Course for one year!
New and renewing Member Clubs will have free, unlimited access to the Fundamentals of Gymnastics Instruction online course (for training purposes only) for the entirety of their one year membership period! Fees for other USA Gymnastics Members are listed below.
Register today to receive your certification for this Level 1 Course!
For more information on this course, click here. To register for this course, click here.
- Professional, Jr. Professional, Introductory Coach, and Jr. Intro Coach Member - No charge (registration is still required)
- Instructor, Foreign Instructor, and Athlete Members - $15
|Safety Materials for Sale
Guide to Safety & Training in the Gym (2-disc DVD set)
Item Number: 6111
Please visit the Technical Materials Store to order.
- 2-disc DVD set
- Disc one includes Shannon Miller, John Macready, David Durante, and Beth Horn
- Useful information for clubs, parents, and athletes
- Includes an orientation video, parent tips, the benefits of gymnastics, communication tips, safety posters, handouts, and much more.
- Disc two shows various examples of extricating an injured athlete from a foam pit
- Useful in gym club lobbies for educational purposes
- Complimentary to USA Gymnastics Member Clubs.
Join USA Gymnastics in promoting our New Member Club website! This resource is helpful for parents who are looking for a gym club in their area. Also on our new website, you will see our most recent grassroots marketing campaign. Visit usagymclub.com today!
USA Gymnastics is a non-for-profit organization which is the sole national governing body (NGB) for the sport of gymnastics in the United States. Our mission is to increase public awareness of, and encourage participation in, all aspects of gymnastics, and to support athletes in their pursuit of competitive excellence.
Tell us what you think! We'd like to hear from you about what information you'd like to see in Member News. Contact us by clicking here.
| USA Gymnastics home | Past Member News | Contact Us | Member Services | Education | Events |